The tide of war has turned in the Dominion’s favour, with their new Breen allies first attacking Earth itself, and then promising to retake the Chin’toka system, the Federation’s only foothold into enemy territory. The only thing standing between the Breen-Dominion alliance and complete domination of the Alpha Quadrant may well be Legate Damar, who is tired of Cardassians being treated as second-class citizens by their allies. Meanwhile, in his Anjohl Tennan guise, Dukat urges Kai Winn to research the Pah-Wraiths.
It’s time to ramp up the devastation of the war in this episode, which sees both an attack on Earth and the destruction of the trusty Defiant. The Federation, who have just about held out all this time, seem to be on their last legs, and out of the ashes, an unlikely hero has risen – Damar. There was no choice, really – if he didn’t make a move now, the battle for the Alpha Quadrant would be over.
Meanwhile, the Winn/Dukat storyline continues on Bajor, and even finding out “Anjohl’s” true identity can’t deter Kai Winn from her course. Having thrown her lot in with the Pah-wraiths, she is a veritable Macbeth, unable to turn back – but without nearly as much development and depth.
The Changing Face of Evil…
…could refer to:
- Dukat’s surgically altered appearance.
- The fact that the enemy is now the Dominion-Breen alliance. Ironically, the Breen all wear helmets and are thus faceless to us.
- The fact that the Cardassians are about to become allies – Damar is no longer the face of evil, and instead Thot Gor has taken his place.
- Thanks to their shared ordeal and hearts-to-heart, Ezri and Worf have now formed a good friendship. Ezri still has to confront her feelings for Bashir, however, and decide whether to act on them.
- Damar has a cloning facility destroyed, ensuring that Weyoun VIII will be the last Weyoun – although presumably Weyoun’s genetic template still exists in the Gamma Quadrant.
- How does Bajoran blood activate the Book of Kosst Amojan? Should I even bother asking when the Prophets and Pah-wraiths are so magical?
- Kosst Amojan was the name of the Pah-wraith who possessed Jake in The Reckoning. Of course, as discussed before, it may just be a generic name for an “evil one”.
- Sisko calls Kasidy “Mrs Sisko”, and she misses the opportunity to call him “Mr Yates”.
- The Federation loses the Chin’toka system, which was an important victory at the end of season six.
- Weyoun claims that the Breen homeworld is quite temperate, and not the frozen wasteland everyone has been led to believe. Is he telling the truth? For now, we can’t know.
Summary – The Changing Face of Evil: Farewell, Defiant, you trusty little ship.