The time has come for the final attack on the Dominion forces in the Alpha Quadrant. As Sisko and the new Defiant join the onslaught in space, on Cardassia, Damar, Kira and Garak prepare for a direct offensive against the Dominion compound. Meanwhile, on Bajor, Kai Winn and Dukat prepare to release the Pah-wraiths from their imprisonment in the Fire Caves.
It’s been a long journey, but here we are at last, at the end of the third leg of the Great Star Trek rewatch. Whilst nowhere near as good as All Good Things or Endgame, What You Leave Behind is by and large a serviceable episode that finally brings an end to the Dominion War. We get space battles, phaser fights, changes of allegiance, character deaths and everything sci-fi conflict needs.
Unfortunately, what we also have to have is a conclusion to the stupid Pah-wraith storyline, which mostly consists of Kai Winn reciting scripture in a cave, before Sisko and Dukat have a very abrupt showdown. Ultimately, I’m not sure we needed this storyline at all, although I suppose it gave Dukat something to do after he went crazy.
How everyone ended up
- Sisko has to return to the Prophets after pushing Dukat over a cliff and thus sealing away the Pah-wraiths for good. It’s not really clear why this has to happen, except of course that it fulfils the prophecy of doom. Why couldn’t Sisko just have retired to his nice new house on Bajor, with Jake, Kasidy and their unborn child?
He does leave his baseball behind, however, so I guess we have to believe that he’ll be back one day.
- Kira is now captain of DS9.
- Odo returns to the Great Link, to cure his people and teach them not to be such dicks in future.
- Quark remains proprietor of the bar.
- O’Brien and his family return to Earth after O’Brien is offered a teaching position at Starfleet Academy.
- Bashir and Ezri remain aboard DS9 as a couple. Now that O’Brien is gone, Bashir sets his sights on Ezri as his new holosuite partner.
- Worf becomes Federation ambassador to Qo’nos. Martok hopes they will spend time targ hunting together. Unfortunately, during his flashback memories, Worf is not allowed to recall anything about Jadzia.
- Jake remains aboard DS9, at least for now. Sisko chose to say goodbye to Kasidy but not to his son – let’s hope Jake doesn’t turn out as he did in The Visitor.
- Garak remains on Cardassia, although it is a very different world from the one he left.
The casualties of the finale include Kai Winn, Dukat, Damar and Weyoun. The Female Changeling lives, but agrees to stand trial for her actions.
Summary – What You Leave Behind: The Dominion War is quickly wrapped up and the Pah-wraiths are sealed away forever. That’s all, folks.