When the Delta Flyer is captured by a Borg cube, Chakotay, Tom and Neelix are surprised not to be immediately assimilated. As it turns out, almost all the drones on the cube have been killed, leaving a handful of immature Borg children in charge. Can Janeway and Seven of Nine negotiate with these dangerous adolescents?
Ah, the Borg children. We all knew they were coming, and that they herald an era when Naomi Wildman isn’t the only irritating minor on board Voyager. It all begins here, with this slightly tiresome episode that further erodes the awesomeness of the Borg. Remember when a Borg cube was a terrifying thing, a relentless force that could destroy half of Starfleet? Voyager laughs in the face of that, and has damaged Borg vessels all over the place – hell, even the Delta Flyer can have a stab at going up against one these days.
Same old, same old…how this episode fails to be original
- Yet Another Seven of Nine episode.
- A handful of Borg drones have been severed from the Collective. What happened to the good old days when the Borg were obsessed with recovering every last drone?
- Harry Kim gets infected with nanoprobes. In Scorpion, he was infected by Species 8472 DNA.
- Harry, Tom, Chakotay and Neelix are on a mission in the Delta Flyer together – just two episodes after they all spent two weeks together on the Flyer.
- Janeway challenges Seven to do something she doesn’t really want to do, to expand her horizons.
- Starfleet officers don’t know how to play poker.
- An anti-Borg pathogen has been developed and deployed. A similar thing happened when the Borg Vinculum was infected in Infinite Regress.
- Remember when Voyager had a severely limited supply of photon torpedoes and no way of making more? Now even the Delta Flyer has a plentiful supply.
- The Borg baby will never be seen again. Apparently it was returned to its people offscreen.
- Despite everything that’s happened to him in the Delta Quadrant, Harry Kim still considers a haunted house from his youth to be one of his scariest experiences.
- Mezoti is Norcadian – the race who put on Tsunkatse matches.
- We now know that Seven of Nine spent five years in a maturation chamber, which means she emerged as a fully grown adult at the tender age of eleven.
Lost, crashed or destroyed shuttlecraft running total: 17
Possibly salvageable shuttlecraft running total: 10
Number of times the entire crew gets enslaved or kicked off the ship: 3
Number of times a version of Voyager gets destroyed: 5
Summary – Collective: Never work with Borg children or Borg animals.